Search This Blog

Monday, September 6, 2010

Football Fanatics!



Bama Fever


  This past Saturday began the start of  the NCAA football season. Which means that  if you live in the state of Alabama, you are entering a Civil War of sorts! The best way that I can describe the rivalry between the University of Alabama and Auburn University is to relate it to the feud between the Hatfields and McCoys. Long, bloody and very ugly!

  You can almost smell the contempt in the air as the frenzied SEC football season nears. It is like wading through a literal sea of crimson/white and orange and blue tee-shirts and car flags. They are EVERYWHERE! I think the only thing that we, as opposing fans, can agree on is our mutual contempt for the Tennessee Volunteers... I want to put my car flag on our red truck, but am kinda "skeered" of the keying or worse that might occur to our vehicle. Especially during the sudden death Iron Bowl Championship come November between those two. People come out in droves showcasing their team pride. The excitement is palpable. People down here in Alabama are so passionate about football, that they call their favored school "our team". You would think that we all had a family member playing football on the field come game day. Some folks (including myself) are hoarse the next day from all the yelling at the tv. Or in my case this past weekend, at the radio.

 While I was kinda bummed that our first televised game was PPV, I enjoyed listening to Eli Gold announcing. I can't explain this man's voice. It is like listening to Walter Cronkite. He is amazing. There's just something about  having to imagine  what he is describing at the moment. It makes the game so much more thrilling and vivid....

  I can proudly say,  that I was raised to be a die hard Alabama fan. My grandmother was an alumni and every weekend, I would come over to watch the game at my grandparents' house, which I live in now with my own family. She could call a game like a seasoned professional. Her enthusiasm was infectious. She made me embrace the "Crimson Tide" tradition even more. It didn't hurt that when I was a little girl, Coach Bear Bryant was in his heyday. It's hard not to love a team that is undefeated at the time.  I guess one more reason that this team is so close to my heart, is because my lovely grandparents are no longer with us. So, I guess in a way, I feel closer to them each time I cheer for Bama. :-D

I'm thrilled to say, that the 2009 National Champs didn't disappoint. The new freshmen recruits really came through and I just have to mention the one handed catch by Julio Jones. WOW! The final score was 48-3, Alabama. San Jose went back to Cali deafeated. Hopefully, this weekend's game was just an example for better things to come as this game season progresses. If we are this good with Ingram and Hightower sitting out, the opposing teams are in for it.... Bring it on, Penn State. We are ready!

Roll Tide Roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment